Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Now That I've Started Working Again

... it feels like I'm actually back in school! I'm an Editor of academic articles and books in the Humanities and Social Sciences. What that means is, in my typical day, I am reading articles, literature, manuscripts, etc. that have been submitted to scholarly journal publications or university presses, editing them for stylistic, grammatical, syntactical, esthetic, and other improvements, discussing/arguing with other editors, authors, and publishers over all kinds of issues related to the publication, and finally, providing our estimate of the overall quality of a submission (i.e. worthy of publishing, stylistically consistent, room for improvement, etc.). Now, ofcourse, you may be wondering - this dude cannot even write a decent blogpost in English, how in hell did he get a job as an editor!? Well, I wondered about that too! But here's the deal: I'm currently undergoing a rigorous training period of three months, during which I will be expected to complete a number of courses and modules in topics such as English grammar, language structure, elements and constructions, etymology and academic vocabulary, style guides for academic submissions, differences in written British and American English, etc. For example, today I spent eight hours studying the eight different comma modules (each module being an hour long). I had no clue that comma usage had some DRAMA behind it! Well, the best part of all this is getting to read some absolutely amazing, cutting-edge scholarly, scientific work. However, I have come to realize that regardless of how brilliant these authors maybe in their respective fields, all of them are not gifted English writers (like me, I guess :-)) And so, their amazing minds and inadequate English writing skills provide jobs for people like us. Which brings me to the most important reason one gets a job (atleast among the most important reasons for me) - that is, to make money. I've heard that my salary is in a competitively high bracket in the Indian market given all considerations to my position, my qualifications, the company, and its growth. I'm being paid handsomely for taking in-depth courses in the English language, for reading and discussing scholarly articles from all over the world, enhancing my language skills, increasing my knowledge base, exposing my mind to new and varying perspectives, and just basking gleefully in a knowledge-driven environment of intelligent people. One of our high-profile customers is the world-renowned Oxford University Press. There are other university presses and publications in America, Great Britain, France, Japan, Korea, and Malaysia that also use our business services; I haven't heard of their names before, but that might be because of my own past ignorance of these matters. My company does more than just provide editing services, though. We also conduct online English teaching modules for international institutions and individuals, and provide transcription and translation services. I'm quite liking the place and the young, intelligent people I work with. Right now, I believe I'm making the best of my situation here in India. I can't complain.

5 Comments:

Blogger JohnJEnright said...

This sounds like a great job for you.

5/24/2006 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger innommable said...

Pretty cool! Love the photos! It looks like an office somewhere in Europe! Love the interior design of the place!

5/25/2006 08:31:00 AM  
Blogger Rubicund Y. Logorrhea said...

In fact, I would almost say you sound happy! I guess we'll cancel your welcome back party...

5/25/2006 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Hi Rubicund!

Well, happy? Hmmm... I'd say, I'm making the best of my situation here right now. I'm sure there are better, greater things I can work towards in the future, both here in India, and elsewhere.

But my heart lies in Chicago. I can't stop loving and missing the city, the kind of life I had there... everything from working at drama-filled Dunky Donuts... to having a drama-filled personal life... to having awesome people coming to be a part of my life... to having the best view of the city skyline from my balcony... to engaging in intellectually stimulating lectures and discussions... to all the exciting, adventurous road-trips I had with my dearest Dramaboy... to the great job I held at a beautiful downtown skyscraper... to the bookstores on State St. and Michigan Ave., to the indie movies with all its controversial explorations...

So many things.

I'm sure Mumbai has its own kind of life to offer me, I'm exploring its possibilities only just now.

5/25/2006 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Jason Hughes said...

Oh my freaking word, small world! You now do what I do, but you had to go to India to do it...

I hope you deal with people who aren't as crack heady as the ones I deal with in New York, what with their ridiculous deadlines and shitty-writing authors!!!

Good luck, though! I love what I do for a living, I just hate most of the people in the publishing world! I hope you love it and that thngs work out for what's best for you!

5/27/2006 09:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home