Monday, March 20, 2006

ARI Campaign in New York

According to this US Newswire press release, the ARI will be sending Peter Schwartz to join a panel to discuss free speech issues concerning the Danish cartoons in the context of the muslim violence:
Summary: ARI's Peter Schwartz will participate in a panel discussion on the Mohammed cartoon controversy. He will explain: Why the eruption of violence and the issuance of death threats make completely irrelevant the question of whether the cartoons are in bad taste. Why the idea that freedom of the press must be "coupled with press responsibility" means that free speech is not a right, but a fleeting permission. Why every Western newspaper and media outlet should have immediately re-published or shown the cartoons in solidarity with the cartoonists. Why the cowardly and appeasing response of many Western governments -- including our own -- will only invite further aggression. Other panelists will present their own views.
It will be held at New York University on March 29, 7pm. Unfortunately, by that date, I will either already have been kicked out of this country or be packing to leave by the next day. If I weren't in the situation that I am, I would certainly make another trip out to the east coast to attend the event. To me, attending events like this are not only incredibly informative and stimulating, but also much fun. It concretizes for me, in very actual and practical terms, the meaning of "pursuit of one's values". I hope that my readers in New York and around the northeast coast (if any) might feel the same way as I do, and make some effort to attend the event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home