Thursday, January 05, 2006

Would I Commit Suicide?

I was once asked: Do I ever think of committing suicide? And I answered, yes, ofcourse! There are very many moments when I think of dying as a very real and plausible alternative – and then I choose life. That is what makes my life and my living virtuous. And that is why I experience so fully the visceral joy of living. The life-death alternative is very salient in my mind. And being an atheist, there is no fear of “death” as such – except a certain kind of revulsion at the idea of ending the very real joy of living. However, as an objectivist atheist, I also understand that the joy of living is derived from the pursuit of rational values and the sense of productive efficacy that I bring to my sense of being. If my values are unattainable (either due to a tyrannical government, or some other force) or if I am rendered irrevocably inefficacious (as a brain-dead vegetable, for example) then why continue living? Some time ago, I blogged about the necessity for a rational human to maintain this salience in living; here are some excerpts I felt are worthy of being highlighted and brought into focus: "The rational human chooses life with the clarity and salience of what it means to live. Therefore, the rational human pursues all possible avenues to make his/her choice of living, the best possible choice. Now, since the act of choosing to live is made so deliberately by a rational human, the act of living itself becomes an act of great virtue and moral worth for this rational human. Now, since living itself has become an act of virtue because it was deliberately chosen, and morality is only applicable to living beings, all acts committed by this rational human that remains in consistency with his/her fundamental moral choice to live is also fully and consistently moral. Self-sustenance, production, and creation are actions MOST DIRECTLY and POSITIVELY impacting upon the choice to live. Since these actions come at the most direct and immediate hierarchy of deliberate acts after having chosen to live, they hold such significant moral worth that is second only the act of living itself [there is a reciprocal exchange of moral worth between living and the actions taking to maintain life]. Since living is a deliberate and salient choice, the rational human is constantly aware of the alternative of life or death, and CONTINUES TO CHOOSE TO LIVE at every single moment. This act of choice being made at every living moment is what truly renders that choice and that life so significantly valuable and virtuous. His or her own life becomes the most precious possession for this human being because he/she chooses to have life at every single moment keeping in mind clearly that they can choose to die the very moment that they find this life not worth possessing."

4 Comments:

Blogger Semperviva said...

JER! I AM SENDING ASCH INTO THE PUBLISHERS! hopefully they like him as much as we do... :)

1/05/2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Woah!!?? How many pages do you have of that?!?? Is it a book-length novel already??

1/05/2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Oh, and P.S. I'm NOT suicidal. Incase anyone got concerned! :)

1/05/2006 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Semperviva said...

lol no short story publishers like the new yorker type magazines... :D

1/05/2006 06:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home