Thursday, January 05, 2006

My Philosophy Professor

I am very delighted to have discovered that my philosophy professor back in college, Dr. John Ahrens is philosophically with the school of Austrian economics, in the tradition of Mises - which was vigorously promoted by Ayn Rand in her non-fictional works, and also that Dr. Ahrens holds many similar Randian concepts in ethics like self-interest and individualism (read this article as an example). A quick google search reveals that Dr. Ahrens has written and published in arenas that put him in the philosophical company of other Randian/Objectivist/libertarian thinkers like Henry Hazlitt, John Hospers, Tibor Machan, and others. I had taken only one course with Dr. Ahrens - "Philosophy of Law". But he and I associated frequently outside of the classroom like at the "Atheists and Agnostics" club that I was instrumental in founding at my college, and during our lunch time discussions of ideas and exchange of campus gossip. The last I heard, the "Atheists and Agnostics" club changed their name because it was too controversial on a Presbyterian Christian campus in the middle of Nowhere, Indiana. I think they called it "The Free-thinkers Society" or something like that... and it is probably defunct now; but I don't know for sure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Semperviva said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/05/2006 02:01:00 PM  
Blogger Semperviva said...

the school of Austrian economics,

was also expounded on and promoted by John Paul II in "The Acting Person"

I love economics

1/05/2006 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Well, that's a contradiction. I wonder if the pope knew exactly what he was endorsing in Austrian economics.

1/05/2006 02:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home