Monday, December 19, 2005

Geniuses, and Me

*sigh* I'm 23 years old! Ugh! So old, so fast... and what have I done in my life?? Achieved anything noteworthy yet? Ugh. I was reading this article about extreme genuises feeling like "outsiders" among society, and I thought to myself -- well, it's true that I feel like an "outsider".. or more like, I feel glad to be an "outsider" among the society that currently exists around me... and it's also true that school and college, they all seem so trivial to me... and the things they taught me there were so banal for the most part. Hmmm, so the question is... do I fit the category of "extreme geniuses"? Ha! Most definitely not! (Oh. Well, can't be too sure of that though... I'm only 23). But then again, there apparently was this genuis kid who the author talks about in the article, who graduated cum laude from Harvard at 16 years of age. Clearly, I've lived far longer and achieved grostesquely little! I think I seem to appreciate what Aldous Huxley said about people, apparently in relation to Isaac Newton (quoted from the linked article):
"Perhaps men of genius are the only true men. In all the history of the race there have been only a few thousand real men. And the rest of us--what are we? Teachable animals. Without the help of the real man, we should have found out almost nothing at all. Almost all the ideas with which we are familiar could never have occurred to minds like ours. Plant the seeds there and they will grow; but our minds could never spontaneously have generated them"

3 Comments:

Blogger Semperviva said...

interesting

12/20/2005 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Semperviva said...

i think the people who are geniuses are probably the ones least likely to think themselves geniuses because they recognize just how much they don't know

12/20/2005 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

I love the Aldous Huxley quote because it is bold and honest about the power of the very few geniuses who drive the world.

Interestingly, Rand also theorized the "pyramid of ability" where she describes the intellectual power of geniuses very similarly to what Aldous Huxley stated -- though, I presume, unaware of his words.

12/20/2005 12:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home