Monday, December 19, 2005

A Defense of Relativism

Recently, I read a ridiculously amateur article that attempted to philosophically defend Relativism, written by an ethics lecturer with a PhD, no less! Interestingly, Dr. Partridge, the author, chooses to poise Relativism as a "moral philosophy for progressives" - thereby stealing the concept of "progressive" and implying that those who do not accept Relativism are somehow not progressive -- backward or stagnant in their thinking. I have linked the article for those of you (if any) reading this who would like to tackle the arguments Dr. Partridge brings up and debunk them. It shouldn't been difficult at all. I refuse to link to his own site. Besides Relativism, he also subcribes to the philosophically invalid position of Skepticism. I'm not going to get into a discussion here of why and how Skepticism is an invalid philosophical position. Anyway, as a teaser: Dr. Partridge challenges the reader to "state an ethical rule for which it is impossible to imagine some particular emergency that would morally require you violate it. If you can’t, then you are a moral relativist." I can think of more than one without even having to really "think".

5 Comments:

Blogger Rubicund Y. Logorrhea said...

Glad to see you corrected the earlier "duality"... while this is an intereting topic, it doesn't deserve double billing. Hardy har har.

12/20/2005 09:49:00 AM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Yea.. I noticed that too... I didn't know how that happened. Anyway, I fixed it.

So, do you think I should post my response to this Relativism article? Or do you think it's a waste of my time, since it's so trivial?

12/20/2005 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Rubicund Y. Logorrhea said...

Trivial, indeed, but without a response, how will we ever know your coherent thoughts on the topic? You can't expect us to read your entire blog and piece it together, now can you?

Hardy har har.

Looking forward to the explication,

lpludh

12/20/2005 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Oh alright... the popular pressure is overwhelming! I shall succumb, and shall write a very brief explication of falsities of this Relativist's article.

That is forthcoming.

12/21/2005 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Link to "My Response to Relativism"

12/23/2005 02:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home