Thursday, September 22, 2005

Sept. 22: Thought of the Day

You see, I had studied Alan Watts a long time ago... and at some point I even agreed in a lot of what he said. Ofcourse, now it's simply fascinating for me to look back and wonder how did I ever think any of his philosophies made any sense!? And actually, the answer is that I wasn't really looking for sense in philosophy. I think what it really was, was that the more "complicated" I thought the philosophy or theory was, the more I thought it was important and probably true, and that it was merely my own intellectual failure to grasp it or understand it. It seemed like, the more 'non-sense' it was, the more likely it was true. I think it stemmed from my extremely unhealthy sense of christian-imbibed self-humility and lack of intellectual strength or intellectual self-esteem. So, while before my default position was that if I don't understand it, if it doesn't makes basic, fundamental sense to me, it is most likely true, I'm just not smart enough, and I would accept it -- now my default position is that if these things do not make any sense or that they defy the most fundamental concepts of my understanding, then it is NOT my fault, it is most likely that that IDEA is false or at the very least, underdeveloped. Thus, now if I fail to grasp an idea or intuitively feel that something is not right about it, I begin with skepticism, maintain my foundations of concepts and basic principles, look for consistencies in logic and reason, investigate further and open myself up to new information... So, here is just one example of what Alan Watts said that I had agreed with before, and which now I believe is so neo-hippie-style delusional:
"I find that the sensation of myself as an ego inside a bag of skin is really a hallucination. We try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home