Friday, August 05, 2005

Reverence for the Self

"A noble soul has reverence for itself" -- Nietzsche Even though I am an atheist, I believe that I am also a profoundly religious person. I have that intense religious reverence that is properly directed towards myself and towards living in this world. I view of my life in this world as so sacred as worthy of all actions. My life is my end, and everything else is my means to the betterment of my life as my end. I watch this world around us with such awe and amazement, at the amazing achievements of Human acts. I don't admire mountains and oceans as much as I hold with awe the spectacle of a towering skyline. The beauty is in the manifestation of a thought, an idea. Even more beautiful is witnessing the actual process of thought being transformed to reality. I watch with careful reverence at the automatic mechanisms of a garbage-collecting truck as its robotic arms and powerful motor-engine work so effeciently in conjuntion with the human direction. I am amazed at the machine and the genuis mind who created that machine. I feel that if there is anything worthy of the highest praise in this world, it should be the mind of a genuis and all that it produces.

7 Comments:

Blogger Semperviva said...

lol, i was tired from all the bloggin yesterday

8/05/2005 06:23:00 PM  
Blogger Semperviva said...

ok- def disagree here- mountains are way moe aweinspiring then a garbage truck- yes, the mind is ingenius, but the mind is not god...which is what you make it...

8/07/2005 04:20:00 AM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Well, if that's what you think. Though I don't see what your reasons are to feel awed at the sight of a mountain than seeing a garbage truck, for instance?
I mean, mountains are there -- they just are. They've always been there for as long as we've been around... and they'll be there for a while. Just static things.

When I look at an amazing creation made by us Humans, I see that which was NEVER there before... and that which is NOW there, like PUFF!! -- And these things function so amazingly -- like consider the awesomeness of a Boeing 747! I mean that hugh JUMBO JET! It is simply a MIRACLE that that heavy-mass of metal can FLY! It can fly and remain suspended inthe air and carry people across continents!
Then compare that to a bird. To the bird. I find it so anti-climactic in comparion.

When I worked a Dunkin' Donuts and I had to carry trash out to the loading zone in the basement... it was amazing to just stand there for a few moments and watch these garbage trucks so powerfully and efficiently carry the large, megaton trash bin from under the trash compactor... and load it up upon the truck... all automatically, efficiently, and powerfully. Hearing the roar of that engine is like hearing the cry of LIFE that WE created -- fully and completely! Machines are like a species of creation that is wholly been endowed with life by US... we are their Gods, their creators, their sustainers! I think that's awesome!

8/08/2005 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger Semperviva said...

YOU WORKED ART dunkin DONUTSSS I TOTALLY EWANTED To i applied but they never hired me HAHAHA- i lvoe that place LOL

8/08/2005 01:36:00 PM  
Blogger Semperviva said...

OH ooookay now that u clarify i understand-- yeah in that sense i see the "aweinspiring ness" of garbage truck

8/08/2005 01:37:00 PM  
Blogger Ergo Sum said...

Maybe you were too over-qualified to work at Dunkin Donuts! :)
I enjoyed my work there.. it was fun... it was hard work, but it was so much fun! And I learned so many new things... like how to sweep and mop the floor... how to count money! lol! :)

8/08/2005 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger Semperviva said...

exactly i would SO have a good time workin there LOL...
(sasca/just an ordinary girl)

8/08/2005 04:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home